Tuesday, September 24, 2013

4th Week of Class



    Well, another project is due this week so it’s back to stressing out. In all seriousness, though, I’m grateful to have a partner to work with this time. I agree with the articles Prof. Downing had us read this week over partner programming; it really speeds up progress and ensures a certain level of quality in the code. There numerous times during the last project that I had to go back, look for, and correct minor errors ( e.g. misplaced bracket, missing semicolon, etc.). I’ve yet to encounter a similar error since I’ve started working with my partner on the current project. It also makes it a lot easier to stay on task. When I work alone, I’m constantly distracted by the infinite offerings of the internet but with a partner it’s different. I can’t wander off in search of the next cat GIF; my partner’s depending on me.

    While we’re on the matter of partners, I was surprised by just how easy it was to find one. I didn’t know anyone in the class, so I was dreading having to go through the time-cherished ritual of asking random people in the hope that someone else out there would be willing to pair with a stranger. Fortunately, Prof. Downing set up a teammate search post on Piazza to help speed up the search. I actually didn’t even know this was a feature as I’d never seen any of my other professors use it. I really wish they had since it was so useful.

    Changing the subject, I don’t think most people have notice since Prof. Downing hasn’t mentioned it yet in class, but our first test is coming up in a bit more than a week. He told me during office hours that most of the material would be coming from the lectures, but anything we’d read or seen as part of the class was fair game. To be honest, I’m plenty nervous. While I managed to get a 100 on the first project, my quiz grades haven’t been so hot. Despite keeping up with the readings and trying to review the previous lecture’s materials, I’m still struggling to get a good grade in that department so I’m banking on the test to help keep me afloat. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

P.S. If you're reading this, Prof. Downing, my sincere apologies for this being late. It's been a crazy past couple of weeks, and it just slipped my mind. I hope that's acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment